I’m putting this out here in case anyone else has the crazy idea to do some WordPress development. You know, WordPress.org stuff.
The instructions I found online were wordy. I hate that when it comes to online “how-tos”. (Grrrr. Just give it to me already!) So, here are my pared-down instructions.
How do you install a local web server on a PC?
- Go to https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html and download the version for Windows. Open and run it.
- Click through the install process. (Uncheck “Learn more about BitNami for XAMPP”)
- Click “Finish” to open up the control panel.
- Start Apache and MySQL.
- Go to http://localhost. You’ll be sent to http://localhost/dashboard.
- Your files are located in C: > XAMPP > htdocs.
- Create a folder inside the htdocs folder and name it “testsite.com”.
- Use Notepad to create a file containing the word “test” and name it index.php. Save it in the “testsite.com” folder.
- Delete all the files in the htdocs folder except the folder named “testsite.com”
- Go to http://localhost. You should see the “testsite.com” folder.
- If PHP is loading properly you will see the contents of the index.php file.
- Celebrate the achievement.